I create content that allows service businesses to build trust more quickly with their prospects, so they can increase sales.
Hi, I’m Cornelia, and I’ve been a freelance content writer and marketing consultant since 2006. Before that, I spent 10 years in corporate marketing roles in the UK and New Zealand. I didn’t love it.
Now, I work from home in my book-filled study, in a lovely leafy location in Kerikeri, in the Bay of Islands in New Zealand. (Yes, it’s as beautiful as it sounds.) I work with clients throughout New Zealand – especially in Auckland – as well as in Australia, the UK, and US. I’ve published some books and my articles have featured in NZ and UK magazines.
So I’ve been a content writer for a while, and I keep up-to-date with the latest techniques and technologies. And I’m lucky enough to get most of my work through referrals and recommendations from happy customers. Which is absolutely the best kind of marketing… especially when you’re an introvert.
Marketing is challenging when you’re an introvert!
That’s why I’ve ended up specialising as a content writer that helps you build trust with your prospects. Quality content is a great marketing tactic for introverts.
Because – let’s face it – not all of us have the gift of the gab. And it can be really hard to let your awesomeness shine through when you’re up against the smooth talkers.
Even if you’re excellent at talking the talk, your prospects still want to know that you can deliver what’s being promised.
How do you convince prospects that you’ll do a great job?
There are various tools you can use to help build trust with your prospects:
- Case studies are particularly excellent for service businesses, where you’re providing something intangible. They’re also great for businesses who specialise in crafting high-value bespoke items (e.g. builders, kitchen companies, customer furniture makers) where there is a lengthy creation process and a high level of trust is needed from customers.
- Articles also let you demonstrate your expertise. As well as using them on your blog/website, you can also turn them into PDF information sheets that you can email or print – they’re particularly handy when the article discusses common questions you get asked in your buying or consulting process. This makes you look ultra professional, and stand head and shoulders above your competitors! Also, remember to post links to your blog articles on your social media profiles. An investment in articles goes a long long way and will last you for years.
- Website content is another area where trust building is important, and there are various psychological tips and techniques you can build into your site to help instil trust. I use these techniques when I write website content – and if you’re not sure how your website stacks up in this regard, I offer a website review service.
Learning new things is a daily occurrence! For starters, here are my official qualifications:
- BSc (Hons) Management Studies, Royal Holloway University of London, UK.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing (DipM) from the Chartered Institute of Marketing, UK.
- City & Guilds Photography, from Croydon College, UK.
- National Certificate in Horticulture, Levels 3 and 4 from the Open Polytechnic, NZ… OK, so that has nothing to do with content writing, but hey, learning new things is fun. 🙂
Plus I regularly upskill via short courses, which include:
- HubSpot Academy: Content Marketing Certified (9 hours of self study) in 2021; and SEO Certified (4 hours of self study) in 2021.
- Rocketspark Launch 2021: a 2-day conference on web design, ecommerce, business growth, brand storytelling, and SEO.
- Freelance Writer Bootcamp: 6 weeks of interactive training with assignments, group calls, and personal feedback from Rebecca L. Weber in 2018.
- iPhone Video Hero VIP: a video marketing course, including video production and video editing in 2013. Taught by Jules Watkins, an ex-BBC and MTV cameraman and Producer/Director. This course includes one-on-one mentoring and feedback from Jules.
- Ultimate Guide to eBook Writing Success: a self-study course in 2013, taught by Bob Bly via AWAI.
- Autoresponder Apprentice: a comprehensive self-study course in 2012, taught by Jay White via AWAI.
- Headline Writing Course: an 8-week part time-course in 2012 with daily assignments, taught one-on-one by Sean D’Souza at Psychotactics.
- How to Design Snazzy Ebooks in InDesign: a 4-week part-time self-study course taught by Sean D’Souza at Psychotactics.
- Article Writing Course: a 12-week part-time course in 2011 with daily assignments, taught one-on-one by Sean D’Souza at Psychotactics.
- Search Engine Bootcamp: a full day training seminar in 2009.
I also enjoy networking with other business professionals at The Networking Group (TNG) in Kerikeri.
Let me know if you’re local and would like to visit TNG – it’s a great group, and we meet fortnightly on Wednesday mornings.
I’m passionate about growing your business. Growing my knowledge. (And also plants!)
I’m on your team, and I’ve got your back. I’m here to help you succeed.
I’m very polite, but if something won’t fly, I’ll tell you. Nicely. 🙂
I’m also passionate about the community I live in. Which is why the loyalty reward for my content writing package clients is a donation to Bald Angels. After 12 months of continuous engagement, I donate half of my monthly fee to them – and my clients get a prezzie as well!
Bald Angels is a charity that helps disadvantaged children here in Northland. One of their many amazing initiatives is to provide children with new pyjamas and warm clothes in winter. Another is to provide Christmas kai parcels to families in need. They do really awesome and much needed work in the community.
When I’m not working…
… You’ll probably find me in my part-time horticulture business. OK, so that’s still working, but out in nature, recharging myself with some solar power. I love the sunshine and being warm. ☀️ 🙂
For fun, my fav things include: taking my dog to the beach, photography (I shoot stock photos), reading, travelling, kayaking, boating, farmers’ markets, and eating out.
Here are some Instagram pics of what I get up to: